Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Continuation of Family Day


The weather was questionable on the morning of Family Day. Parris Island is well, an island and it's not far from the coast of SC/GA. With that being said, it was hot, muggy and very humid the whole weekend. There were threats of rain, but only a few drops fell and storm moved on. Once we got done eating, Matt wanted to show us around the base. I must say, for it to be a military base, it wasn't half bad. On the drive in, it's lined with palm trees and the whole base is very clean. I think it's on the smaller side compared to the several bases I've been on, but it was fun to see where my brother has been living for the past 3 months. I'm going to let the pictures speak for themselves.

The famous yellow footprints. Each recruit is dropped off at this very spot on base. They are to stand on the footprints and they run over them on the motivational run.
I love these kids. First of all, the girls stuck through the 3 months of training without their boyfriends. I know that sounds so silly, but remember we all in high school at one time and boyfriends were a big deal.
See the bag my brother is carrying? He had to carry that with him everywhere he went on Family Day and had to keep his right hand free to be able to salute to his higher ups.
See, the Marines didn't change them one bit! They are all still as goofy as can be!
No glasses!
These lines ran down the barracks and the recruits were to stand on them several times a day.
How would like to wash up in here for 3 months? I know it could be much worse...
The "racks". Notice the beds are made head to toe, apparently, that's to help reduce the spreading of crud. And not only did Matt, Trevor, and Michael all stay together in the same platoon, they also all slept with a triangle of each other.
Where my brother kept all of his belongings. He had some great stories about those cases.


I couldn't have asked for a better girlfriend for my brother.


Thankfully, we didn't have to stay in a hotel for the durition of our time at Parris Island. One of my mom's sisters and her husband own a house on Dataw Island which is about 15 minutes from the base. After Family Day was over we said our good byes to my brother and spent the evening with family.

Mack did so good considering how long of a day we had. We enjoyed dinner at a fun little restaurant within the community that my aunt and uncle live in. This cracker kept her entertained for a long time!


No comments: