As I've said before, Uncle Matt signed into the Marines at 17 years old. He had just completed his junior year of high school when he made this life changing decision. For the past year, he has gone once a month for physical training and left June 1, 2009 to start his career with the United States Marines. Uncle Matt's summer vacation only lasted 5 short days in which he tried to cram everything into. Daddy, mommy, and Mack went to Gram and Papaw's house for one last shindig before he left. We went up on a Saturday and even spent the night. Even though Uncle Matt didn't leave until that Monday, he still needed to be at a hotel down by the airport by 7 p.m. Sunday night for check-ins and so forth. The weather was beautiful! Trevor, Michael, and their families came to the house and hung out and we all enjoyed watching the boys have one last good time. Mommy was an emotional basket case the whole day, but tried to have some fun. Since there were 14 of us and we didn't know when the boys would eat again, they decided on Golden Corral...hey all you can eat! And that's all they had in mind! In fact, Trevor had 2 plates of just steak fries, and Michael ate an entire plate of fried okra. To be honest, mommy didn't have much of an appitite, and neither did Uncle Matt, but we made the best of it. And I don't have any pictures of the actual farewell, that was too much to handle and the ugly cry came out in all of us. I did promise Uncle Matt that when he graduates (some time in late August) that I will have Mackenzie walk to him. We're so proud of you Uncle Matt!
We're already missing him so much!


I love the smirk on Mack's face...sneaky girl!


First time in the big pool! Not too sure what to think and to be honest, the water was a bit chilly, so she didn't last long. And I just noticed...look at those arm rolls!!!


Cousin Jordan came for a visit to keep us all laughing and boy did he!

On the left-Michael and Trevor's girlfriend, Brittany
On the right-Matt, his girlfriend, Hannah, and Trevor

I hope these guys keep their sense of humors while they are in boot camp. Michael can make anyone laugh and you can see why.

Friends forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment