Monday, September 15, 2008

September 4, 2008

Mackenzie Elizabeth is here! Here's the story of how she came into this crazy, wonderful world. I woke up around 4 a.m. on Sept. 4th to go to the bathroom, after I got back into bed, I realized that I had a bit of cramping. I had been to the doctor the day before and thought I was cramping from that. I was still only 1 and 1/2 cm dialated when I was there, so I didn't think that I was starting to labor. I couldn't get comfortable laying down, so I went into our livingroom to watch cartoons. I forgot how funny Popeye and Pink Panther are or maybe it was just funny because I couldn't sleep. :) Anyways, at 6:30 I decided to take a shower and wake Scott up, he quickly fell back asleep and I enjoyed the warm water. Scott got up at 7 and started to get ready for work. He started timing my contractions and at that point they were 3-5 minutes apart. At 7:30, I was hurting and told him that we needed to go somewhere. After cleaning the kitchen and starting the washing machine (I guess I was in denial!) we were ready to leave for the hospital, that was at 8 a.m. Scott was so calm the whole way even joking that 8 a.m. was probably the worst time to be heading into Marietta, he was right, it took an hour to get to the hospital! We got right next to the hospital and that's when my labor pains went to my back and I lost it, it hurt so bad and I was starting to panic. Once I was in triage, I was checked and was 5-6 cm and the contractions were right on top of each other. Within 30 minutes, I was admitted to labor and delivery and had the epidural. I was so much calmer after that. I could still feel the pressure from each contraction, but I was able to breath through them. My mom got to the hospital at 11 a.m. and Scott's parents got there at 11:30 a.m. Everything moved very quickly. I sat at 10 cm for about an hour with hopes that Mackenzie would drop down more and that would help with the pushing. At 2:30 p.m. everyone but Scott left the room and I started pushing. I pushed for a little over an hour and Mackenzie entered the world at 3:37 p.m. it was the most amazing thing ever. She weighed in at 8 lbs. 1 oz. and 18 and 1/2 inches long. I guess she will get her lack of height from her momma, but that's ok! I couldn't have asked for a better labor and delivery nurse and the doctor that delivered Mackenzie was great. The neatest thing about the whole experience is that Mackenzie and her daddy will share birthdays-Mack was born one day before Scott and he loves his little birthday present!


Our happy little family!
Scott and I can't stop staring at her.
Scott holding his baby girl.

No comments: