Friday, June 18, 2010

Nolan's Birth Day

Once we found out that I was pregnant, we began to get things ready for you.  Since we were unaware of what we were having, I did wash the few gender neutral outfits I had from Mackenzie and started working on the guest bedroom to transition it to a baby room!  It's amazing how much stuff (junk) we had.  The goodwill was given a truck load of stuff and we were well on our way to making room for baby.  Since I went early with you (Mackenzie), I knew I was going to go early this time too.  I had a doctors appointment the Thursday before Memorial Day and I hadn't made much progress from the week before.  My next appointment was scheduled for June 4th.  We had a relaxing Memorial Day spent swimming in the pool and hanging out with family, and slowly starting to spread the news of our soon to be arrival.  The following week, I worked on getting the house together, laundry and packing bags.  Can you say nesting?  :)  Daddy was working the last half of the week on Lake Lanier so it made for long days at home.  On Thursday, the 3rd, I spent the day running errands.  I had a huge to-do list set for Friday that weekend and Daddy was going to get in our attic and get down all the baby things we needed.  Daddy didn't get home until almost 9:30 that night, and we were all in bed by 10...thank God I had mine and your's (Mackenzie) bags packed.  I got up at 1:30 to go to the bathroom.  On a side note, I never got up in the middle of the night until after I found out I was pregnant...I think it's all in your head!  At 1:43 I rolled over from one side to my other and I thought I peed in my pants.  Huh?  I got out of bed and it happened again.  What.  My water did NOT just break, did it?  Well, yes it did.  I woke Scott up and we got moving.  I called the on call nurse where she told me that I needed to head to the hospital even though I hadn't had any contractions.  I decided to take my time and take a shower, blow dry my hair, and do the dishes.  I cleaned our kitchen right before we went to the hospital with you (Mack) too.  We dropped you off at your Nanny and Papa's and were on our way to the hospital by 3:30-still not one contraction.  I had my first contraction at 3:38 a.m. but it wasn't bad at all and I was able to talk through it.  I was just starting to feel uncomfortable.  We got to the hospital at 3:52 a.m. and while Scott got me registered, I walked into triage.  There were about 8 nurses sitting there and they all jumped up.  It scared me at first, but later found out that because I was so small, they were worried that I was in active premature labor...nope, not me I was full term!  After being evaluated, I found out that I was 4 cm dilated and even though I was in minimal pain, I went ahead and had an epidural called in just in case it took awhile for the anesthesiologist to get there.  The anesthesiologist was fantastic and actually sat around with us for some time just chatting with us.  I was in complete comfort by 5 am and was well on my way to getting some rest.  I did however, have to get medicine to raise my blood pressure because it kept going down and apparently it can make you nauseous.   Poor Scott was tossing and turning on his wonderful "bed" and I later found out it was because he was trying figure out a girls name (we had no idea what name we would pick if this child was to be girl).  It really bothered Scott that we could have potentially gone home with a child that had no name!  I abruptly woke up at 6am feeling like I was going to explode. I hit the epidural button to give me a "boost" but that didn't cut it.  As I was hitting the call nurse button, in she walked and said that my contractions were literally on top of each other and were only getting stronger.  She checked me again, and I was 9 1/2 cm!  She was shocked as were we.  I kept explaining to her that I needed to push, but she insisted that I wait.  Dr. Klein (the same doctor that delivered Mackenzie) walked in at 6:18 am, and 12 pushes later at 6:39 am, we became parents for the second time to a little boy.  At one point I was so out of breath and kept saying over and over how bad it hurt, only to be told by the doctor that because of how fast Nolan was coming, my epidural couldn't keep up, so needless to say, I felt A LOT more with him than I did with Mackenzie.  And Daddy kept on laughing at me every time I said it hurt.  He finally looked at me and said, "Babe, it's supposed to hurt-you're having a baby!"

No comments: