Matt and Savannah. I will give it to her, her dress was beautiful!
Who Uncle Matt should have taken to prom, Mackenzie wouldn't have treated him like his date did.
I was a little giddy that day. It seems yesterday I went to our senior prom! How has it already been 9 years?!My brother has never been one to play sports. I on the other did anything I could to play, play, play. In high school I wanted to do lots of sports, but settled for soccer. Matt on the other hand never played anything and when our mom signed him up for t-ball when he was 5, he went to one practice and told everyone that he was never going back. He hated sports that much. Now he does like to play around for fun, but he's not one to be competitive-in a sports sense. This all leads into how proud I am of my not so little brother. Lets face it, from what I can remember, it wasn't "cool" to be in my high school's ROTC program and it was always in the shadows of sports. And forget about my high school's riffle team. First of all, the shooting room was in the basement of the cafeteria and secondly, riffle team? Come on. Well, shame on me for ever thinking the way I did. My brother is not only in his high school's ROTC program, he is the leader of the entire ROTC program, and he has been on the school's riffle team for 4 years. My brother was just awarded a plaque from the local rotary club for most improved shooter for the 2008-2009 school year. Because he has been in his ROTC program, he signed into the Marines last June at the age of 17 (and our mother's consent) with their early entry program. He has trained for the past year and as of June 1, 2009 he will become a Marine recruit at Parris Island, South Carolina. No, I'm not prepared for this and I'm already having anxiety issues. Matt, on the other hand, is and has been prepared to leave for some time now. He knows exactly what he's getting himself into and I can't be more proud, scared, nervous, fearful, overjoyed, honored, and excited for him. This is EXACTLY what he wants to be doing. We won't get to see/talk/hear from him for about 6 weeks, but I've already promised to write him regularly and pray, pray, pray for him. He can do this.
On April 23, 2009, we went to North Forsyth High School for the last time. It was the ROTC's Change of Command and Matthew led the entire program.
It couldn't have been a more perfect night...until the storm rolled in, but it made for a beautiful sunset.






No comments:
Post a Comment