Driving from Georgia to New York twice in less than 2 months (with an infant no less) is not ideal, but it is when you have to attend a funeral on the first trip, and you get to attend a family reunion on the second. My most wonderful great aunt and uncle host an annual family reunion at their home in New Jersey every summer. This was the first year that I was able to attend and I got to bring Mackenzie! My second cousin had a little girl on the same exact day that I had Mackenzie. She wasn't due for another month, but sweet Emma had other plans. Emma's mommy is older than me, but her name is Kelly Jo so growing up, we were always called each others name-so the idea that both Kelly's had little girls on the same day is so funny to all of us. I was able to keep the whole trip a huge surprise and will never, ever forget the sound and look my great aunt made when I walked out of the shadow of my aunt with Mackenzie in my arms. My great Aunt Rita and Uncle Bill are very special people. They don't judge others, welcome anyone into their home, and have hearts of saints. Aunt Rita and Uncle Bill both watch Emma while her mommy and daddy are working during the week and Aunt Rita has said numerous times that they wouldn't trade that for the world. It makes me sad that they live so far away-I would love for Mackenzie to grow up with Emma and get to visit with the family more. Aunt Rita and Uncle Bill lost their only son over ten years ago due to complications of epilepsy and we know Billy was partying with us on Saturday.
When we first arrived. Mackenzie was a little intimidated with all the people.

My sweet Pop Pop with his first great grandchild.

Hula Babies!

Look Emma! The gate's open, if we act fast, we can get out of here! But Mack, how are we going to move with these skirts on?!

Great Uncle Bill playing with his great, great niece and grand daughter.

Hey, let's play ball!

Oh, how I love my great Aunt Rita! She was literally nibbling on Mack, she loved her so much!

The Kelly's with their girls!

Pop loves kids and he loved holding Mackenzie.

Look, look!

Peek a boo twins! It's hard to see it in the pictures, but in real life, these two really do look a lot alike.

August 8, 2009
No comments:
Post a Comment