Thursday, August 13, 2009

Port Jefferson, New York

For the first 8 years of my life, I lived within minutes to several types of water. We had the south beaches, north shore beaches, and my most favorite-The Port Jefferson Harbor. I have very vivid memories as a child going "down Port" to watch the boats come and go, walk the docks, eating ice cream while watching the ducks and playing at Rocket Ship Park. A few years ago, when I last visited Port Jefferson, it was a complete dump-I was heartbroken. Well, it's so pretty now! They've done an excellent job of cleaning up the port area and even unearthed boat rails. I was so excited to show Mackenzie where her Mommy used to go as a child.

The Ferry! As a child, I absolutely LOVED when the ferry was coming or going. It was blow it's loud horn and I would watch the front door open or close. We got to watch the ferry come in this time. It takes several trips a day across the sound to Connecticut. It takes about an hour to make it across.
The weather couldn't have been more perfect.
Well-Worn Ways

The sun was so bright, but Mackenzie didn't care.
Mommy and Mack, with mommy's cousins-Jordan and Jarrett
All of us with Thomas Jefferson in Port Jefferson!

Look past the small island and see the land in the far distance? That's Connecticut.

August 7, 2009

No comments: