Below is what I said at her funeral.
Heart of gold, giver, magnificent, caring, spunky, stubborn, lover of Jesus, Veteran, these are just a few phrases to describe my Gramma Edee. She always supported me and my decisions even when she disagreed. For instance, Gramma never understood how I could choose sour, fruity candy over her favorite-the Milky Way. And all the years that I played soccer, she cheered me on from the sidelines, and if I ever got hurt, she would later shake her head and question why I didn't dance or do ballet instead, yet, she continued to support me. Oh how she loved her Matt. They connected in a way that could not be duplicated. My brother's old soul was a perfect match for her. The way Gramma cared for and played with him was similar to a momma bear and her baby cub. Though miles and illness ultimately separated them, the bond was not and will not be broken. When I was in second grade and new to GA, the two of us, Gramma and I visited many Methodist churches finally settling on McEachern. It is that same church that I would later find my best friend, my husband and I have no one but Gramma to thank for that. In closing, I would like to recite the words of a famous song by Brad Paisley. I love you, Gramma.
When I get where I'm going
on the far side of the sky.
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly.
I'm gonna land beside a lion,
and run my fingers through his mane.
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain
When I get where I'm going,
there'll be only happy tears.
I will shed the sins and struggles,
I have carried all these years.
And I'll leave my heart wide open,
I will love and have no fear.
Yeah when I get where I'm going,
Don't cry for me down here.
I'm gonna walk with my grandaddy,
and he'll match me step for step,
and I'll tell him how I missed him,
every minute since he left.
Then I'll hug his neck.
But when I get where I'm going,
and I see my Maker's face.
I'll stand forever in the light,
of His amazing grace.
when I get where I'm going,
when I get where I'm going,
there'll be only happy tears.
I will love and have no fear.
When I get where I'm going.
Gramma loved everyone, and she always made kissy faces. Nov. 2008
Matt, Gramma, and Kel (with baby Mack) June 2008
Matt, and the love of his life Gramma Nov. 2009
Kel, Gramma, Terry 3 Generations Oct. 2006
Four Generations! We made it! Terry, Gram, Mack, and Kel
All Gramma's daughtersFran, April, Candy, Judy, Terry and DeeDee
Their birth order is: DeeDee, Judy, Fran, Candy, April (they are twins!), and Terry
Gramma meeting Mackenzie for the first time, Nov. 2008. Gramma didn't like that we were naming Mackenzie just that. She said it was a boys name and I told her in a way it was, because it's Scott's middle name. During the taking of this picture she said to me that she now see's how Mackenzie can be a girl's name! Oh, how I miss her so much!
1 comment:
Kellyann- that was such a beautiful speech you gave. I got kind of emotional just reading it! I don't know how you did it in person, except by God's grace. Your Gramma sounds like such an incredible lady! I love that she just decided to pick up and move with you guys in just an hour! Most older people hate change and would never do something like that! And it's so neat that you guys had such a close relationship- could disagree and joke around about stuff- so many grandparent relationships are more formal and distant.
And I don't think you're being selfish by missing her so much. I think you're just being human. But what great news that she was a Jesus lover and that you'll see her again soon! Thank you so much for opening your heart and sharing these beautiful memories and feelings. :)
Post a Comment