Gramma had a full military service and two navy men came out and played the taps...it's hard to listen to that song, but even harder when it's for a funeral, the flag that was draped over my Gramma's precious casket was folded and given by the navy men to my mom. A huge surprise and honor. Usually, the flag is given to the first born, but there was no argument as to who would be receiving the flag. If you've read this blog before, you know my brother is in boot camp and was unable to attend her funeral. It was a decision my family made not to tell my brother for a number of reasons that don't need to be explained. My Gramma's flag will be put in a custom made flag box, and given to my brother when he graduates from boot camp. I know will bring back a lot of emotions as we all haven't healed from her death yet, but there will plenty of family and we also voice recorded the entire service. I know it won't be the same as if he was there, but I know it will still be very special.
On a much lighter note, when we got back home to GA, I wanted to research the cemetery. I found that Glenda the good witch, Lou Gehrig and his wife, Danny Kaye, Harriet Quimby, are all buried with Gramma.
Gramma is buried in the Salvation Army section of the cemetery. Her and her mother and father were very big supporters of the Salvation Army and my great grandfather was actually in a band for them.
My great grandparents. It's so strange to see their birth dates all the way from the late 1800's. 


June 23, 2009
1 comment:
Wow! That is a really pretty cemetery. I'm so glad you feel at peace while you're there and that you can appreciate and soak up the beauty of it. And how neat that Glinda the Good Witch is there :) Sounds so special.
Post a Comment