Monday, July 13, 2009

Road Trip, Father's Day, and a Funeral

Scott and I had planned to take Mackenzie to the beach for the first time over Father's Day weekend. We spent the night before we were supposed to leave packing and getting very excited. I was also getting excited about Scott's first Father's Day. Not that we were going to be doing anything spectacular, but it was still going to be his first Father's Day. Unfortunately, on the morning on June 19th I got the phone call I never wanted to receive, my Gramma Edee passed away. Instead of heading south for the beach, we along with Gram and Papaw headed 16 hours north to Long Island, New York for the funeral on Father's Day. My wonderful Uncle has his own funeral home and had all the arrangements already completed by the time we got up there. I was so nervous about the trip for a multitude of reasons 1. Mack hasn't been in a car for nearly that long before 2. my family has been so blessed not to have many deaths in our family and this was only the second funeral I was attending-the first was Scott's Papa two years ago, and 3. it was going to be such a short visit and I wanted to do and visit so much. Mackenzie did absolutely wonderful! We left early enough in the morning that by the time she woke up, we were already well into N. Carolina and on our way. She played so well and kept herself very entertained and it helped that she had two people sitting in the back with her the whole way! She only cried the last 40 minutes of the drive and to be honest, I was right there with her...I was ready to get out of the car! I brought enough stuff from home to keep her entertained in the car and the hotel and she even slept well in the crib from the hotel. I brought sheets and mattress cover from home hoping that would help too. It was a busy, short 4 day trip and we were so glad to come back home.

Hee, hee! Mack wasn't so sure about this metal, flimsy crib, but it did the job! My little crib jail baby.

No comments: